Friday, September 26, 2008

Having children and raising them is a challenge...

I read a news article abt a mother in London who bites her 5 years old child whom she thought had bitten his youngest sibling. What a shock! When questioned, she claimed that she did so coz she felt the child should be hurt as well. OMG!!

How could a mother did that to her child??!! Even though the child is wrong, such punishment is out of this world. Is she teaching the child that biting is acceptable although she’s mad at him for biting his sibling??!!! It doesn’t make sense!!

I have 3 very young children aged 7, 6 and 5. If you’re a parent, you will understand the situation I’m in now. It’s not easy to raise and handle 3 kids their age. It took lots and lots of patience and perseverance, even though at times I almost lost mine. But who can you blame? They’re just kids. We were once kids too. Even though their behaviors can drive a bull crazy, they are not aware that such undesirable behavior is objectionable. As an adult and parents, we should teach them what is proper and vice versa. Punishment is necessary when repeated mistakes are done. Corporal punishment would be the last resort, when all means are exhausted.

I’m not an excellent parent. I’m still learning to be, at least, an average one. Sometimes, I lost my judgment too and go bananas when punishing my children. But most of the time, I can control my anger. Normally, I would give 1 or 2 canings on their legs and make them stand or sit facing the wall for half an hour. Then I would warn them on the next consequences should the mistakes be repeated before giving them a hug. Most of the time, they would cry when I did that. But then, kids will always be kids and similar mistakes and incidences will tend to happen again. Well, that’s the joy of having children. Life is meaningless without their mischief and squabble. But that's the challenge and beauty of being a parent. :)