Wednesday, July 29, 2009

No child maintenance?? I'll teach you a lesson some day... ;)

There are recent reports about the increasing number of ex-spouses failing to provide child maintenance soon after divorced. Even with Family Court intervention, many dare to breach the order. My ex-hubby case is a good example.

He refused to pay a sum as low as $400/- for 3 children despite court order. And went missing! I swear he’ll rot in HELL!

The Singapore Council of Women’s Organisations has come up with a so-called solution. They are proposing an independent agency called the Maintenance Services Authority that will act as a recovery and payment agency for maintenance for orders that have already been made. This body will also collaborate with IRAS to check on the ex-spouses’ income and CPF contribution. Ok, maybe it’ll work for some.

But what about those who work on contract basis and odd job labourers? They do not contribute to CPF and their incomes are normally not declared. How can this body track?

I pity children (especially mine) who are deprived of proper maintenance from their fathers. Didn’t these men for a second think that their children need to feed, school and enjoy life just like any other children? Even a small contribution will mean a lot to them.

Last week, during the Parents-Teacher Meet with Mdm Choo, she was surprised when I told her that I am raising the kids single-handedly.

“Isn’t it tough for you?” she questioned.

No deny. It is tough but what choice do I have? Abandon them? Put them in a Home? Or let my in-laws raised them? A clear cut NO! I would rather suffer.

I hope that these fathers will come to their senses that one day, when they are old, sick & dying, they will need their children’s care. By then, they have no one to blame but themselves.